With the Covid-19 world changes you may be feeling very angry, anxious, depressed, sad, scared, and uncertain. You may have noticed an increase in depression dealing with your family who may be on your last nerve. You may be having anxiety attacks or feel that your health is suffering. You may be rotating through all of them on a daily basis as you listen to the news, worry about your job and finances and how you will manage all of these things.
You don’t have to feel like this anymore and the answer is not about engaging in destructive habits. This involves your ability to manipulate your mood by comforting or calming yourself in the face of negative emotions.
Even with Covid-19 out of the picture, there may be periods of time when things may not be quite as you had hoped and you will feel depressed. If you approach a situation in a calm state, you are better able to deal with whatever is happening in your life. You are less likely to make rash decisions or act out in some harmful way. We all tend to make poor decisions when we are feeling depressed.
The best anxiety & depression treatment
- If you truly can’t get moving, cuddle up with your pet, your favorite blanket, or any stuffed animal and treat yourself like you have the flu for a little while.
- Research something that you know nothing about, but have had an interest in it. Science, Travel, new business ideas or potential hobbies. Novelty kicks up Serotonin in your brain.
- Use physical exercise or movement as it exhausts and relaxes you. Sleep is also improved and you are paying attention to your body as opposed to agitating your thoughts. Mood will immediately improved by release of endorphins.
- Dancing is good as it involves music, which also shifts your mood. Do stupid moves that make you even laugh. It shifts the brain from ruminating.
- Cook something healthy for yourself, this is another creative outlet. Give it away if you don’t want it. It doesn’t have to be a big batch of fattening brownies, it can be a great salad or vegetable dish.